Friday, July 1, 2011

Featured Member: Ladykonnyaku


1. What is your shop name? Lady Konnyaku Clothing.

2. How did you first get started in your craft?
After graduating college, I was working this lame-o desk job for a huge Taiwanese corporation. At 24, I realized that working 8-5 was not my thing; I decided to become a clothing designer and work for myself instead. Sounds easy, right? The problem was, I didn't have a background in sewing, let alone the knowledge to operate a sewing machine... so I enrolled in a local fashion design school where I studied for 2 years. Those were difficult times, indeed, but now I can sew better than most people's grandmothers.

3. What inspires you?
The craziness found in Japanese street fashion. Mod clothing from the 1960s. Soul Train and Midnight Special. Kung-fu movies. Video games. The colors and textures found in vintage fabrics. Compliments and money deposited into my Paypal account (laughs).

4. What are your favorite color combinations?
I'm really into Navy blue and teal, red, white and blue, mustard and black... actually mustard and ANYTHING!



5. What is your favorite item from your shop?
Malta top--- I haven't seen anything else like it anywhere else and the colors and style are pleasing.

6. If you had to use three words to describe yourself, what would it be?
Humorous, interesting, restless.

7. What superpower would you most like to have?
I am a language nerd and speak English, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish... but being fluent in the top three world languages is not enough! The best superpower I can think of is the ability to speak and understand every language in the world.

8. What is the first thing you remember creating?
When I was little I made a clay island called "Misland" (my + island), complete with canoe, palm tree, shack and fire pit.

9. If you could choose any era/decade to live in, when would that be? Why?
Meet me in the 1970s! Partying, polyester, and disco dancing all night... and sleeping all day.

10. Where can we find you? (website, blog, etc.)
Website: www.ladykonnyaku.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ladykonnyaku
Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/ladykonnyaku

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin