Retro Handmade is a group of Etsy sellers who specialize in handmade vintage-inspired items that resemble things from the past or create things that have retro vibe. Please view our team profile for more information about us.
1. What is your shop name? My shop is Evelyn Pelati Jewelry. Previously my business was called La Bella Luna Jewelry, but last year I decided to rename it.
2. How did you first get started in your craft? A friend encouraged me to join her in taking a class in metal clay with Lis-el Crowley, a well-known metal clay instructor. I had never heard of or touched metal clay before that. I was "bitten" right away–and have been working with it ever since.
3. What inspires you? I've always been so drawn to the era of the early 20th century, especially Art Deco. I'm what you'd call an "old soul"–I just seem to gravitate old vintage, retro and antique things. But then I love to mix it up with the contemporary.
4. What are your favorite color combinations? My favorite color of all is green, and my favorite green is that apple/peridot shade of green. For a combination, I'd have to say I love black paired with just about anything–but black with rich, vibrant shades is really the best.
5. What is your favorite item from your shop? Right at the moment I'm very proud of my Art Deco Circular Design Black Onyx pendant. It has a unique hinged bail that I engineered and I like how it looks.
6. If you had to use three words to describe yourself, what would it be? That's hard! I'll say designer, earnest, busy.
7. What superpower would you most like to have? To stretch time!
8. What is the first thing you remember creating? As a toddler I used to "draw" with crayons on the pages of my mother's books. For years later whenever you'd pick up one of her books you'd randomly come across some of my "art".
9. If you could choose any era/decade to live in, when would that be? Why? The 1920's. It seems like it would have been an interesting time–the roaring twenties.