Retro Handmade is a group of Etsy sellers who specialize in handmade vintage-inspired items that resemble things from the past or create things that have retro vibe. Please view our team profile for more information about us.
1. What is your shop name? Umbrella Ave. 2. How did you first get started in your craft? When I was young and still played with dolls, I would bug my mom to sew clothes for them. But I had 3 younger sisters and my mom was spread pretty thin trying to keep up with the large wardrobe that we wanted. So one day I decided to sew something myself, my mom helped me out a bit and I just took off from there. Pretty soon I was sewing for my Himstedt doll and selling clothing to collectors through ebay. My mom and I eventually started our own website where we sold our handmade doll clothes. But I'm a restless crafter and have to continually change up my routine and focus if I want to enjoy what I'm doing. My friend Sasha, from the Gildedbee, introduced me to Etsy about the same time that I decided to make things for people rather than dolls, and the rest is history. 3. What inspires you? Books and magazines, vintage and retro fashions, unique fabric and trims, flea markets and antique stores, as well as store displays, good graphic design work and other people's art. I like to see what the artists on Etsy are up to and use that as a platform for my own imagination to take off from. I also frequent online clothing stores such as Anthropologie and Modcloth to get ideas. Many times I'll see something there that I like, and will incorporate part of the design or idea into jewelry or accessories that give the same feel when worn.
4. What are your favorite color combinations? I love golden yellow paired with red. Also pink + brown and grey with almost anything. Greenish blues are another favorite to work with.
5. What is your favorite item from your shop? Currently? Clownie the Elephant! I love tiny things, elephants and circus themes........something that's very evident from looking at him. :)
6. If you had to use three words to describe yourself, what would it be? Imaginative, eccentric, creative
7. What superpower would you most like to have? I think it would be fun to be invisible or have the ability to fly.
8. What is the first thing you remember creating? I remember creating things for my dolls when I was little.....blankets, miniature dolls, walkie-talkies from clay, and anything else that I wanted but didn't have the money for. The first thing I remember getting paid for, was an ugly little purse made from horrible, striped, stretch knit with a piece of rickrack for a strap. I sold it to my little sister..........poor thing. ;-)
9. If you could choose any era/decade to live in, when would that be? Why? I think the 50's would be fun. I love the clothing and decor from that time period. But if given the choice, I would stay where I am.....I couldn't do without modern conveniences!
10. Where can we find you? (website, blog, etc.) I have a website in the works, and when it's finished you can find me here: www.umbrellaave.com